Saturday 20 August 2011

An experiment in journalling

I love journalling on my pages - to me that's the point of scrapbooking - it's important to add the story behind a photo as well as adding the who, what, where & when.  Last year we had a lovely family break in Northumberland and visited Alnwick Gardens (the castle is famous for being Harry Potter's Hogwarts) which were spectacular!

We visited the Poison Garden - layout is in the pipeline - and loved the spectacular fountains and water sculptures everywhere, especially in the Serpent Garden.

I was experimenting with having several "stories" running across a page: labelling the photos, telling the general story of where we were, and adding some extra info about one particular photo - namely No.1 Son showing us how skinny he is by being able to fit into a gap I could barely slide sideways through! 
What do you think - do the three types of journalling work, or are they confusing?


I've used my August Counterfeit Kit, but no orange papers this time!  This page also fits in with Shimelle's recent challenge to incorporate 3 things on your page (journalling spots & large stamped butterflies, types of journalling) and also Scrapbookers Anonymous's challenges (discovered through Julie's blog) to use journalling spots and/or stash beginning with A - August's Counterfeit Kit ... or possibly American Craft cardstock as a base!

22 comments:

alexa said...

I think all three types work really well here! The info on the photos becomes part of the design, and the journalling spots are interesting to look at and read. My goodness, don't you feed him, Jemma? :)

Susanne said...

I think it's a great idea of add lots of journaling - in whatever or however many ways you like. Nicely done.

Mary B said...

I love the way you have told the story and the three different kinds go together perfectly

Clair said...

I really like the added twist to the journalling - and the colours are perfect for this particular set of stories x

Alisha said...

I love the journalling. I didn't even notice that they were different ;P

Alison said...

I love the journalling...it's not confusing at all and really adds interest to the page
alison xx

scrappyjacky said...

Love what you've done with this page....and the journaling works perfectly.

Sian said...

I like it! It adds plenty of interest and makes for a really dynamic (and informative!) page

Margie said...

I love it! It adds interest-love the butterfly too!

Theresa said...

wow. fabulous layout. great job getting all those challenges in there. Thanks so much for digging in your stash and playing along with us at Scrapbookers Anonymous. =)

Lea said...

What cool pictures! Love the butterfly and how you journaled. Thansks for joining in the fun at Scrapbookers Anonymous!!!

Ali said...

Lovely peaceful colours and the photos are great - I think the journalling works fine, it just adds to the interest.

Missus Wookie said...

first - LOVE getting that many challenges covered with one page :)

Secondly - think the three layers of journaling work just fine, but then I do something similar on a regular basis so I would :lol:

Anonymous said...

I think it works just fine - it makes it more interesting too. I love the circles on this page!

Maria Ontiveros said...

I agree that it works, but I really want to say that I love the papers in your kit.
Rinda

Lydia said...

I think hand journaling is always a win! Great job using your journal block and cool layout! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrapbookers Anonymous.
Lydia

Lynnda said...

Awesome... those pictures are just so cool!!!I love the butterfly and how you journal... Thank you for joining in the fun at Scrapbookers Anonymous!!! ...hugs...xoxo

JulieJ said...

Glad you joined in at Scrapbookers Anonymous - hope to see you over there again!
I sometimes have two stories to tell so splitting the journalling into two types would work for that - I'll have to give it a try.

Deb Hickman said...

What a fab page, I love that you have managed to get so many great photo's on there and all that journaling is wonderful. Thanks for taking part in both challenges over at Scrapbookers Anonymous.xxxx

Tara O said...

I think it works just fine. Great job.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is GORGEOUS! WOW! Thanks soooooo much for playing along with Scrapbookers Anonymous! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Missus Wookie said...

Well as a woman who often has more than one type of journaling I think it looks fine ;)

Skinny is not something Wookie's do very well but I have one set of nephews who never look fed at all. The poison garden sounds like an interesting place to visit too.