Sunday 24 November 2013

Thanks But No Thanks

Jimjams - Cards - Thanks for All OccasionsWelcome to the start of November's Members' Blog Hop from the Counterfeit Kit Challenge Blog.  The challenge this month, was to make a little book of thankfulness. Oh dear, I thought.  It's not that I'm not grateful for things, I am.  But I have enough (unfinished) mini-books to last a life time and I need to use my creative time usefully ... so I decided to twist the challenge slightly to my own ends.

Normally around this time of year I am busy with one of my many sisters in law, gathering gift requests and financial donations from Hubby's very large family. There are so many brothers, sisters, nephews and nieces, cousins and spouses that we found it easier to put together a huge pot of money and buy each relative ONE gift on behalf of everyone else.  Far better to get just one decent sized exactly-right present than two dozen much smaller and less perfect gifts.  Each family contributes according to their means and last year the pot was nearly £1000 divided between 34 children and adults.

However this year several families are feeling the pinch and sadly the majority have decided that they will be cutting back and not joining in with extended family giving and receiving.  The end of a very useful family tradition, leaving a big hole in the festivities :-(

Which is the perfect excuse for me to think outside the box and start making gifts instead ... starting with a set of Thank You cards for a variety of occasions:

Jimjams - Cards - Thanks for All Occasions

Using my November Counterfeit Kit along with some white card, Sizzlits Retro Metro alphabet & Decorative Accent dies I concocted a number of reasons to be grateful and printed them in Veggieburger Font.

Jimjams - Cards - Thanks for All OccasionsJimjams - Cards - Thanks for All Occasions

Hopefully this set of cards will make one of Hubby's sisters happy on Christmas Day.  Now I'm off to look at other creative things to make and package prettily for the other four lovely ladies.  Do you make gifts to give away? 

The next stop on the gratitude trail is Valerie, but if you get lost along the way, the full blog hop order is published on the Counterfeit Kit Challenge Blog today.  Happy Thanksgiving!

20 comments:

Ladkyis said...

My gifts are culinary. I make chutneys and pickles in September/October. Usually with the windfall apples from my cousin and the cheap fruits from the market. I then give three small pots of different things to selected family and special friends. I sometimes make quilted things too - bags and peg bags and cushion covers. I don't get a huge pension but I do have a big stash of fabric - a friend who has a curtain business keeps me supplied with samples

Lesley G said...

Perfectly twisted Jemma, well done - there will be a few handamde gifts this year from me too, last year was homemade Baileys!

Tricia said...

Wonderful idea, why didn't I think of it. I'm the same way with minis :) I've been learning crochet and hope to get some gloves done in time to gift one pair is done two more to go.

mandysea said...

this is such a fabulous idea!!! Love it! I'm sure the recipients will be very thankful!

Susanne said...

Those are fun. I never get started early enough to give gifts at Christmas. Shame on me.

LCSmithSAVED said...

What a FAB idea to make them all-purpose like that! I really thought it was going to be a banner, but this is much more clever. Sorry the tradition is a bust, but the times are a'changin...

Michelle said...

Love the cards. I started making gifts for my family about 4 years ago and like you we have a large family. There are 26 separate households so I did gift by household. One year was a calendar and the next a recipe book. I love the idea of making cards for each household and receiving homemade cards is such a joy. Thanks for sharing!

scrappyjacky said...

What a great idea. This year I'm making knitted flower brooches for the ladies in the family.

Sassy Breese said...

Very clever checklists.

Sian said...

I love these clever cards!

and I feel your pain about the end of a tradition. My aunt used to have a wonderful gift swapping party, but she gave it up when all the children started to get bigger and it has been much missed

MiliPea Designs said...

Excellent idea! I used to make calendars for my in-laws, but it became too stressful not getting pictures till the last minute from the other siblings to add to it that I gave that up a couple of years ago. Now I make gifts just for friends.

StaZ said...

Great cards. I love that past Christmas tradition you described. I think that would be a good tradition to have.

Tina Campbell said...

Super cut idea, nice tradition your all doing too

cinmfoster said...

Great idea, love the check box sentiments. Thanks for sharing.
Cindy F

Missus Wookie said...

I like the lists and think anyone would appreciate getting such a useful present.

Alison said...

What a great idea, Jemma...love them!
Alison xx

Beverly said...

Great cards! My entire extended family is doing handmade gifts for each of us this year. The females decided it, the males have been grumbling ...it may be a one year tradition lol

Angela Toucan said...

those are fantastic. Oh I might have to copy this idea.

Yes we make gifts too, so much fun.

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a great gift. . . my relatives love getting packets of cards from me. I did a gratitude journal last year; I'll be re-posting it on Thursday.
Rinda

alexa said...

Brilliant idea! They look so professionally produced. Sorry to hear about the family tradition taking a break - perhaps it may recover another year.