Saturday 1 February 2014

February's LOVEly Counterfeit Kit

Welcome to another month of kit counterfeiting with the Counterfeit kit Challenge Blog.  This month we are welcoming back a former Master Forger, Susanne, as our guest designer to start off the counterfeiting.  I'm next to have a go at making my own version of Kits de Somni's jam-packed January Kit based around Crate Paper's Love Notes collection.  Regular readers will know I don't do lovey-dovey so be prepared for some deviations from the original LOL!

Where to start ... a lot of chevrons, hearts (never going to happen!), some arrows and cassette tapes in red, white, black and blue with frames and vellum and chalkboard effects ...
I grabbed two 6x6 papers from my birthday shopping last October ...


... Good Stuff & Red Tweed, both from Simple Stories' 24/Seven collection, and based the rest of my kit around these colours.  I replaced the hearts with stars and hexagons (not used them in a while) and had a go at making my own chalkboard elements:


I did warn you not to expect a carbon copy!!

Supplies: (all Simple Stories unless otherwise stated)

12x12 Urban Traveller Green Chevron/Dictionary
6x6 You Are Here (red & white arrow dots reverse) also Urban Traveller
6x6 24/Seven Red Tweed/Calendar & Hello (multi-coloured hexagons reverse) & Bingo Card/Stripes
12x12 Red Arrows/Arrow Dots from Urban Traveller
6x6 24/Seven Good Stuff (typewriter numerals reverse)
6x6 Urban Traveller Jet Set
A scrap of Crate Paper's Art Appreciation
"Counterfeited" Crate Paper's Sparked paper
12x12 Charcoal by Lily Bee Design (plain black reverse)
A scrap of Basic Grey's Granola Wholesome
6x6 multi-coloured hexagon reverse of 24/Seven Hello

Various wooden and black buttons from my stash
Webster's Pages Camera washi tape
7 Gypsies' Lille paper tape
Narratives envelopes from Creative Imaginations
Luxe Designs' white Brackets rub-ons
Various white rub-ons and word stickers from my stash
Woven word labels
Counterfeit chalkboard spots
Lifestyle Crafts' nested hexagon dies
Studio G Series 11 clear stamps
JBS Numbers Quilted stickers
Left-over Crate Paper Storyteller stickers


My attempts at counterfeiting chalkboard papers did not go too well.  Some lovely white rub-ons had languished so long that they no longer rubbed on ... they fell off the black card at the slightest touch!!  However, I found some white ink (Stazon Cotton White & ColorBox Frost White) which stamped fairly well onto black and I'll make more "chalkboard" as required.   Perhaps there'll be some help from the other Master Forgers in the "I Can Make That!" post on the 8th - I'll certainly be sharing something "sparky" then.

I'll add cardstock as I go along and dig out some black alphas too.  Now it's time to pop over to Julene to see what she's put together today.

24 comments:

JulieJ said...

Haha - I knew you'd pick that kit and steer clear of the pink! I totally missed the arrows in my look at the kit so thanks for pointing them out - I'm sure I have some red and black chipboard arrows somewhere.
I'm looking forward to see what you create.

Chrissy said...

I really like your stamped hexagons - the stazon worked well! :o)

Lesley G said...

Love the kit and especially nice to see those hexagons in there too :)
Look forward to a tutorial?

Julene Matthews said...

Your whole kit looks very workable.I spy some washi tape that I have too.Will add it into my kit as well.
Your arrows will be fun to work with.

Missus Wookie said...

Hexagons, stars and arrows look good to me. I like the colours you've pulled and look forward to a chalkboard tutorial sometime this month :)

Sassy Breese said...

Excellent re-interpretation of the kit. Yours looks warm and cozy. Those darn rub-ons that languish in our stash. Remind me NOT to stock up on supplies with short shelf lives.

Maggie said...

January came & went before I had time to forge! Going to get my stuff sorted out early this month and will probably go for kit 1, too.
Thanks for the peek at yours!

My not so simple life said...

Great kit :) Im not lovey dovey either so much prefer yours to the original!

TishSch said...

I think I like your kit even better than the inspiration kit! I may counterfeit off yours instead! And I totally can relate to the situation with the rub ons. We have a love-hate relationship ourselves. :)

LCSmithSAVED said...

I had to laugh when I saw your kit - no hearts for me either! I went with stars, too, but I loved your hexagons. I had fun a few kits ago making chalkboard alphas w/stamps & white ink. Your kit visually reads very much like the original - a successful forgery!

Tina Campbell said...

Love your take on the kit and how you mixed it up. Glad to see such a different variation it helps the newbies to know what else we can do :) Looking forward to seeing what you do with the kit

Stephanie said...

Great take on the kit - I LOVE that paper with the stars and the stitching!! Can't wait to see your pages :)

Lizzie said...

Well, you don't have to make a copy kit, do you - it's a "Counterfeit" kit and it's nicer when it is inspired by the original, but different.
I really like your take on the kit - it's bright and cheerful and fun. I'd use your kit (but I'm not so sure about some of the original).
Very nice and I like your inventive "chalkboard" paper.

MiliPea Designs said...

Your kit is perfect for you! That's the beauty of this, right? That stitched star paper is pretty!

Lou said...

looks like a wonderful kit..have fun x

Susanne said...

I like your take on it very much - I want to steal most of those papers! Enjoy it! I'm so happy to be playing along again with you gals!

Lisa said...

I always like the direction you take things to match your own style. This is a great kit and so interesting to see how you started this and where you went. I don't work well with rub ons either so you have my sympathy!

Chidkid said...

Lovely kit..so clever to take such inspiration and turn it away from the hearts. Well done Jemma..great kit

Annie Claxton said...

Loving your take on the kit - such gorgeous colours and looking forward to your tutorial. I'm thinking maybe I'll do a smaller kit this month and maybe make cards - that's allowed isn't it? :o)

cinmfoster said...

Lovely kit. Those stitched stars are super!

Julie H said...

Who needs a carbon copy when you have a fun kit like this to play with?! I'm loving your patterned papers and your "chalkboard" accents.

Melissa said...

Great kit - I like how you chose those few papers first then added to match those. Looking forward to seeing what you create.

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love red and black together. It's interesting to see how various third colors combine with it (either blue in the original kit or yellow/ green in yours).
Rinda

Virginia said...

Oh that's a fabulous kit!