Thursday 7 April 2011

A Little Help From My Friends

I love how sharing the world of scrapbooking is.  At my crop I will regularly borrow and lend tools, swap papers and cardstock and use and donate inks and brads.  I'm also amazed by how caring the Blogosphere is - ask and I am answered!  Today I posed a question on the Blogging For Scrapbookers forum about where to find cost-free and royalty-free photos to help illustrate posts.  Within a few hours I'd had plenty of detailed help.  The photo below is from Flickr - and, while I'm not 100% sure if I've managed to link to it in quite the way I wanted, I know I'm 100% nearer to being able to use other people's photos than I was before I asked!

I've managed to include a link to the photo on Flickr in the caption - should that be the Photographer's name rather than just "Source"?  The photo also appears to have a title which is quite funky - hold your mouse over it to see!  You can also jump to the photo on Flickr by clicking on the photo - not really sure if I want that - I wonder how I switch that off?
If any of you have any hints and tips for finding and sharing photos for blog posts, please let me know.

Pegs
Source
Why the pegs?  Well No.1 Son returned home from Uni today, laden with dirty washing and proceeded to strip down to his boxers in front of the machine.  I do have a photo of that by the way, but thought he might object if I used it on here.  When he came out of the shower, the washing machine was clanking a little!  Oh dear!  In his rush, he hadn't emptied out his pockets before loading the machine ... and now he has a very clean and sparkly mobile phone!!!  We decided NOT to put it in the tumble drier or hang it on the line, but will see if it still works after a night in the airing cupboard.

14 comments:

Amy said...

Ahhh, pegs, such a familiar image for me!

You have linked really well with the flickr photo, I haven't used flickr for this before but learnt, via Shimelle today, that it is better than google which is what I have previously used :-)

Mary B said...

Oh Dear! hope the phone works today

Mary B said...

To get the picture without it taking you back to Flickr click action and find all sizes click size needed and right click on picture and use 'copy image location' post this in the image url in blogger.
You won't get the name when hovering your mouse so you will have to add source details.
hope that helps

WendyB said...

Oops, he won't do that one again in a hurry - hope it still works.

Sian said...

Oh, no! And now I've got a picture of that old ad in my head now, the jeans one..

My biggest tip is from the opposite angle - be aware that other bloggers may copy pictures from your blog without permission - this has happened to me several times. In other words, not putting up the boxer shorts picture was a very wise move!!

Beverly said...

Great job with the photo! Bury the phone in a container filled with cat litter. It absorbs all the moisture out. Pretty sure it should be non clumping litter. Hope he can save it :)

Mary Ellyn said...

Sadly I have washed my cell phone before and it never worked again but my daughter dropped hers off a boat and dried it out and it worked fine. I have heard that you should take it apart and take the battery out to let it dry completely, then put it back together and keep your fingers crossed!

Julie Ann Rachelle Interior Design said...

Love the photo Jemma!!!! :)
Shimelle is a wise one. <3 <3 <3
xoxo

A nice shiny phone always looks good, right? LOL

Lynn said...

If you havn't got cat litter, I've heard that putting it in a bag of rice also does the trick. Hope it works!

humel said...

lol! Perhaps best not to share that photo.... I was going to suggest the rice trick, I've never had to try it out but I've heard that it works. Good luck! xx

alexa said...

Oops ... My DS dropped his new iphone down the loo, and it dried out fine on top of the radiator. After some disinfectant! Good luck!

Alison said...

Sounds like DD when she comes home...she always brings at least two full loads with her! I've never washed a mobile yet..but I DID wash DH's passport a few years ago!
Alison xx

Winnie said...

Tissues a plenty in my washing machine, but thankfully never a mobile phone! Hope it dried out okay.

JulieJ said...

Aren't you doing UKScrappers? This story made me think of that Jeans add where the guy stripped down to his boxers in the launderette! Not sure it was ever a printed ad though.
And I think the title when your mouse hovers is the credit for the photo.