Saturday 25 August 2012

String Art on Paper

Hmmm - when Clair contacted guest designers for her Stitching On Paper series she shared a list of the class techniques and let us choose what to join in with.  Today's topic brought back memories from my youth when String Art was all the rage.  I can remember hammering hundreds of pin tacks into chipboard, winding miles of embroidery thread back and forth around them and making several pieces of wall art for my teenage bedroom.  I have no idea where they are now and there are certainly no photos around so I jumped at the chance of incorporating a blast from the past into a layout.

Layout detail - String Art

Rather than pin tacks to my cardstock I pricked holes in it and stitched through them with metallic threads.

I used a Crafters Workshop circle template to mark out even divisions around a quarter circle on the back of my cardstock using a white gel pen.  A ruler helped me to add extra points radiating out from the centre of and I set to work with my needle to make the holes.

Layout detail - markings on back

Once they were done I had a happy hour sitting in front of the TV sewing back and forth, back and forth, back and forth ... before matting and layering my photos and journalling.

Layout - New York New York - Jimjams

Clair has lots more ideas for incorporating string art into your crafting - check them out here - there's even a chance of a prize for joining in before September 8th!

16 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

This looks so effective.

Lou said...

i so remember those picture too!!

a very effective design, showcases your photos off perfectly!

Lisa-Jane said...

Hey that looks amazing! I really like the placement and design definitely reminds me of the crown on the Statue of Liberty. Its not really in your face either and makes a fab extra dimension.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

That stitching looks incredible! It works really well with layout design.

Sian said...

What a really intriguing idea - kind of retro, very effective..brilliant!

Mary B said...

what a great idea and perfect stitch for the photos

alexa said...

Oh wow, that is spectacular and really enhances your photos! What a clever idea, beautifully executed.

Abi said...

amazing! What a stunning effect.

Clair said...

Honestly, I've been looking and looking (and looking) at this since you sent it over to me and I still can't articulate how amazing I think it is.

String art seriously needs to make an appearance on your projects more often.

You seriously talented lady, you! x

Beverly said...

This layout is amazing!

Sue Althouse said...

This is awesome! Love how your string design so perfectly matches the colors and theme of your photos!

Alison said...

I remember all those works of art!..we all had them all over the place..love how you've used it on your LO- you are so creative!
Alison xx

humel said...

I'm sure you know how much this appeals to me in its mathematicalness (which is so a word!!) Love it :)

PS The Doctor made a string art pic at school, and it still hangs on the wall at The Parents-In-Law's house!

Anonymous said...

This is awesome Jemma - totally stunning.

Missus Wookie said...

Love the shimmery-ness and the mathematical-ness of this, both don't negate that the pattern compliments the subject so nicely too.

My Mom has string art pieces - and photos of string art pieces somewhere. I remember doing these too during summer vacations and with rubber bands.

MiliPea Designs said...

The string art adds an interesting aspect to this layout. I'll have to give it a try.