Thursday 7 February 2013

Hex Magic

I loved the Jillibean Soup hexagon stickers in the Scraptastic Club kit that we counterfeited this month and they were the perfect excuse for me to christen the Quickutz Lifestyle Crafts nesting hexagon dies that I bought recently.  Cutting hexagons was simple enough but what I wanted to recreate was the coloured framing of the original stickers.  Two adjacent sized dies should do the trick ... but how to hold them in place??

I must come clean here and admit that I am an absolute novice with my Big Kick (those cutting plates have only seen hexagon action!) and there may well be a magnetic shim that you can use to keep these metal dies stationary on the cutting mat.  In the absence of such a wondrous thing (and the knowledge of just what "sandwich" to use with it if I had one) I simply placed the dies face down on my coloured cardstock and secured them with a sticky post-it note before rolling them through the Big Kick.  This gave me a small coloured hexagon and a separate frame.

Photo collage - counterfeiting Hexies
I cut a piece of Kraft with the larger of the two dies and simply glued the coloured frame to it.  By repeating the process with smaller dies, securing them to each hexagon with the sticky post-it note, I proceeded to cut ever smaller frames, backing them with more Kraft.

Now, not everyone has a set of nesting hexagon dies but it is perfectly possible to make your own template from chipboard - using a compass - or better yet, simply print some hexagon graph paper onto the back of your paper or cardstock and cut some out directly.  For framed hexagon spots you'd need nested templates of course.

While checking out other people's counterfeit kits on the CKCB, I spotted a wonderful piece of Hexies counterfeiting by Kirsty.a and shamelessly copied her idea of adding washi tape to them.  Thank you Kirsty!


Photo - Counterfeited Hexies - washi taped

That's the wonderful thing about the CKCB: sharing ideas about how to stretch our stash and make do by making a dent in the supplies we already have.  It's always worth having a look through the links each month.

Now that I have "sullied" those virgin cutting plates with my hexagon dies there will be lots more die-cutting going on here.  If you have any tips for securing the dies in place and getting the "sandwich" right do let me know!







14 comments:

Sandra said...

Something about hexi's make me smile. I just love them ... These are lovely

Lesley G said...

Gorgeous hexagons. Yes there is a magnetic sheet that you can buy to hold them in place. Enjoy you die cut playing - I love my big shot :)

Julie H said...

Hexagons are one trend I haven't tried yet but yours look great!

Unknown said...

Ohhhh! The washi tape is a fab idea! You can get a magnetic sheet but I find the post-it note or a piece of washi tape is easier and quicker. I didn't add hexis to my kit but I was considering cutting some with my machine. These are very cool!

Maria Ontiveros said...

The washi tape totally makes these!
Rinda

alexa said...

They look great, these hexies, and I too - but with circles - have wondered how others keep them in place. I usually just hope for the best but a Post- it is a great idea!

Sandie said...

repositional tape would do it too. I have held back from buying these dies as I have a silhouette cameo on order. Can't wait for it to arrive now I have seen your hexagons and what you have done with them!

Mary B said...

they look great Jemma. I was going to say that one set of dies I bought came with a magnetic sheet, seems other have said the same thing. but you seemed to have done well with the post it notes.

Beverly said...

The post it is brilliant :) I have dies in unopened packages that should really be used.....

Beverly said...

You are doing an awesome job of using not only stash but the patterned paper :) Love the layout, the journaling, the memory and the photo!

Jennifer Grace said...

The addition of the washi tape really makes these pop, but I like them without it too - they are so versatile! x

Missus Wookie said...

I'm another masking tape user here. Have thought about the magnetic base but haven't invested. Need to buy more plates for the Big Shot though.

The framed look is fun - and I've got nesting circles...

Lisa said...

looks like I need some hexagon dies! love the look of these you've made!

Lisa-Jane said...

I love them! Might just have to get some dies now...