Tuesday 14 September 2010

An old photo

When the children were smaller we used to take them at least once a year to visit various relatives; while the boys were really small this involved flying back "home" and our "holidays" were anything but!  However this photo was taken after we had returned to live in the UK and the family visits down south had to take place during the school holidays, preferably with a bank holiday weekend so that Hubby wouldn't lose too much annual leave.  I never thought I would miss these "duty" visits that ate up our free family time, but they have now become a rarity and I do.

"Sadly, this sort of photo opportunity no longer occurs; not only is your Grandpa no longer with us, but these days you kids are rarely all able to visit our relatives, let alone smile for the camera, at the same time. 
I like to think that this photo brought pleasure to my father and will also, one day, remind you what he looked like before he got too ill."  

I'd half-prepared the layout for a weekly challenge on UKS using Twisted Sketches #66, but got distracted and didn't do more than select the papers. But I've found some "me" time tonight and finished it off, too late for the UKS points, but in time for the TS deadline :o)  I twisted the sketch onto its side and the fabric I used is actually wide lace that I've cut up plus a silk covered button. First time playing along with them for a long time - I'd forgotten what fun sketches they have - why not check them out?

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Super job on this Twisted Sketch!!! Great memories to preserve! I hope you come back and play along again!!! TFS!!!

Mary B said...

Great page and yes I have neglected TS too must remember them again.

Naddy said...

lovely LO... love the lace...

alexa said...

Oh, just found you! I looked on your profile a little while ago on UKS to see if you were blogging but didn't see your address there! So sorry, and thrilled to be able to see more of your work. Love that background, by the way - wonderfully creative. :) The button and the lace are great matches for each other, and ingenious to cut the lace in half! Great LO of your family and I am sure it will be a lovely reminder of Granddad in years to come ...

Lalo said...

Well welcome back to Twisted Sketches, glad you went back and got it into TS :)
Family trips can be grim at the time (especially with kids) but they always end in great memories and awesome scrapbook pages!!!
Lovely LO...Hope to see more of your work at Twisted Sketches :)