Sunday 5 January 2014

Zoom In Zoom Out #1

In 2013 Helena ran a meme called Look Up Look Down and I enjoyed seeing contrasting photos appearing on my friends' blogs, giving me glimpses into their lives throughout the year.  To ring the changes, Helena has chosen Zoom In Zoom Out as her meme for the year and I'm going to try to join in myself.  (My record for year-long projects is not good, but we'll see what 2014 brings).

Jimjams - ZIZO #1 - Library & Books
My local library was refurbished last year.  Not an entirely popular way of spending public money as the computerised booking system was confusing and reduces interaction with the librarians.  The beautiful new modern shelves had no labels for a couple of months which did give the librarians something to do as they led us more or less directly to the correct section.  The shelf units are also ⅔ the height they used to be and more creatively arranged meaning that there are fewer books on display?!?!? Not a huge step forward for a lending library.  The carpets are a pretty colour though ;-D

The close-up shot is of the two books I borrowed this week.  Having started mid-series with "The Snowman" for my bookclub in 2011, I've been reading Jo Nesbø's Harry Hole novels in sequence and am relieved to find that "Phantom" IS the follow-on from "The Leopard" which was coincidentally also a bookclub choice in January 2013.  Upon hearing that I was a police thriller fan, a fellow reader recommended Mo Hayder and I've been happily squirming at the body counts in her series of books featuring English policeman Jack Caffery. "Hanging Hill", however, appears to be a stand-alone novel.  I really should do more research on my book choices rather than picking randomly from the bookshelves!

Will you be joining in with ZIZO as well?  What other memes would you recommend?

12 comments:

Lesley G said...

I saw a post about this on Rinda's wall and wondered whether to join in. Love how you've captured your pictures, good luck in keeping up :)

helena said...

lovely to have you playing along and a great glimpse into your life with this pair - I haven't been to my local library so much since I got my kindle but intend to visit more often in 2014

furrypig said...

looking good, I do love my book clubs and try and make the most of my local library as well.... will have to check out the colour of the carpet in ours lol!

Sandie said...

Planning to Zoom in-Zoom out myself. Love the photos of your refurbished library,I question that the book shelves are lower because that means less books and more bending. Not good for those who are elderly.
I ended up with so many fines that I now buy books instead of borrowing, trouble is I have to keep putting up new book shelves. The idea of kindle has not taken me yet...

Unknown said...

I have a terrible time trying to keep up with anything that is year long! I think the lower shelves in libraries makes them feel more spacious, but I don't like having to bend down all the time for books. I love being surrounded by tall bookshelves overflowing with books.

Missus Wookie said...

Nice carpet colour ;) I've wondered about the ZIZO meme, always enjoy seeing the pairs people choose.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I'm debating it. I probably will when I remember to take photos for it, otherwise I'll only ever have one of them, zoomed out probably. :)

Beverly said...

I didn't to Look Up Look Down but I am finding myself very drawn to the ZIZO, I always end up sporadic with year long things so we'll see. I like your choice of subjects and the carpet is nice ;)

Maria Ontiveros said...

I am so enjoying seeing everyone's take on ZIZO. Glad you joined in! The library is an inspired choice, I think.
Rinda

Sian said...

Er, yeah, nice carpet. It reminds me of the time I asked my boss if we could change the display all round in the Science section, and he said that if we did that people would only want to borrow the books!! Seriously..

Anonymous said...

Interesting picture of the library. I can't say that I'm a fan of the lower shelving units, especially in a library, wonder why they went that way.

alexa said...

Hum, I gated it when our library was moved from a gracious Georgian building to a renovated school block :(. So I can sympathise - bet it's noisier too? Great pair of photos though! I don't know either of these books so thank you for the introduction!