Tuesday 14 January 2014

Zoom In Zoom Out #2

I'm keeping up with Helena's Zoom In Zoom Out this year ( OK, yes it's only week #2, but that's good going for me :-D )

Jimjams - ZIZO #2 - Bookclub
I've stayed on the theme of books this week, with a shot of my book club getting going without me (I was purposely 5 minutes late so that I could secretly snap this).  We meet up after hours in my local bakery café, pushing the tables together to catch-up over a cup of tea or coffee with  some delicious cake.  You can see a pile of recycled books in the corner, 50p each, with all the money going towards schemes supporting the elderly folk in the village.  There's also a basket with a selection of the day's bread for us to take home at the end of the meeting.

This month I had peppermint tea, chocolate fudge cake and we discussed M.L. Steadman's "The Light Between Oceans": an interesting tale of a lighthouse keeper and his wife off the west coast of Australia in the 20s and the consequences of their decisions when a baby is washed ashore on the lighthouse island.  Many of us admitted to needing tissues for the ending and all of us appreciated the dilemmas posed in the book for the couple, the birth mother, the grandparents and the child herself.  This in turn sparked a feisty discussion about Madeleine McCann and just what she and her parents have gone through.  That's one of the things I love about reading with a group, you never know what you'll end up talking about.

That's probably true of ZIZO as well ... a simple idea to Zoom In & Zoom Out with your camera ... but who knows what subjects people will pick?  There's a weekly link-up on Helena's blog - are you joining in too?

8 comments:

helena said...

sounds a wonderful bookgroup and I love that you planned to arrive late in order to get the shot - must try that one

scrappyjacky said...

Love your shots...and sounds like a great group.

Sandie said...

What a lovely post Ruth! I love the zoom in- zoom out and I must take part. I have photos ready - just need to post them!
I am envious of your book group. Sometimes I wish I worked closer home so I could join things like this when I get home. I love reading and to be part of such a cosy group sounds perfect. I love your meeting place too - how nice it is open after hours for you all.

furrypig said...

We read that book in book club, it is quite thought provoking when you look at it from all the various perspectives. What else have you read/ are you reading? I am reading Longbourn at the moment for book club

Melissa said...

Great pairing of photos!

Missus Wookie said...

I too like that you were late so you could take the photo. Cake, drinks and book talk? Hmm - another thing to look forward to when I'm no longer working evenings.

happysnapper said...

I read it last year too, very thought provoking book.

Chidkid said...

This looks interesting Gemma